The academic year runs from September 1 through to July 30th. All faculties follow a semester calendar: the first semester lasts from September until December/January. The second semester courses start in January/February.
- Academic Calendar 2011-2012 (pdf)
- Academic Calendar 2012-2013 (pdf)
- Academic Calendar 2013-2014 (pdf) (in Dutch)
- Academic Calendar 2014-2015 (pdf)
The end date of your housing contract (if arranged through the university's housing office) does not necessarily correspond with the end date of the study semesters. Please ensure to check the terms and conditions and mentioned on the Housing website.
The University will be closed on the following days:
- University Foundation Day, Dies Natalis: 8 February, from 1 pm
- Easter: Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (Goede Vrijdag, eerste Paasdag and tweede Paasdag);
- Queen’s Day (Koninginnedag): April 30th;
- Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag): May 5th;
- Ascension Day (Hemelvaartsdag) and the day after;
- Whit Sunday and Monday / Pentecost (eerste and tweede Pinksterdag);
- Relief of Leiden (Leiden’s Ontzet): October 3rd;
- Christmas Day and Boxing Day (eerste and tweede kerstdag) New Year’s Day (Nieuwjaarsdag): December 25th until January 1st.
For the Fall semester, most exams are scheduled in December. Re-takes of exams usually take place towards the end of January. For most students it will be possible to return home for Christmas.
|Fall||September - December/January|
|Arrival date||No later than a few days before the start of classes, or your introduction programme preferably on a weekday.|
|Arrival date Intensive Dutch Language Course||Early August|
|Student housing check-in||Start dates of rental contract: 1 August / 16 August / 1 September|
|Introduction Programme (link to section introduction )||End August / beginning September|
|Information sessions (non-EU)||To be announced (various days in August/September)|
|End date and departure||The exact finishing date will depend on your individual course and exam schedule. Most students will be able to finish before Christmas.|
For the Spring semester, most exams are scheduled in the course of June. However, re-takes of exams might not be scheduled until August.
|Arrival date 2nd semester||No later than a few days before the start of classes, preferably on a weekday.|
|Arrival date Intensive Dutch Language Course||Early January. Dates of intensive language course are to be announced.|
|Student housing check-in||January / February|
|Introduction Programme (link to section introduction )||end January|
|End date and departure||The exact finishing date will depend on your individual course and exam schedule.|