Working while studying and internships for holders of student residence permits

Do you need a work permit for an internship or when you are working while studying?

Working while studying

If you have a student residence permit you are allowed to work for a maximum of 10 hours per week or full time during the summer months - not both. However you will need a valid work permit (unless you are a Japanese national). Your employer must apply for the work permit on your behalf.


If your study programme includes an internship component you don’t need a work permit. Instead a standard internship agreement must be completed and signed by you, your employer and your programme coordinator. However if your internship is not part of your study programme you will need a work permit, just as you would for a part-time job.

More information about coordinators and current internships

Insurance whilst working

As soon as you start working – even if this is only for 1 day – you will need to change your student health insurance policy into a Dutch public health insurance policy. This is also the case for paid internships. Make sure to read all the relevant information about health and liability insurances.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017