Student visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR)

Do I need both a visa or residence permit?

You will need a student visa (MVV) and a residence permit (VVR) if you are:

  • entering the Netherlands as a degree-seeking student or study abroad student for a period of 90 days or longer

  • not a citizen of one of the following countries:

    European Union


    New Zealand

    South Korea


If you are staying for less than 90 days, or are a national of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or USA, please refer to the nationality table to check which procedures you should follow.

What are the application requirements?

Leiden University Admissions Office will take care of your student visa and residence permit application on your behalf. However, please note that we can only do so if you meet the following requirements:

  • you have a valid passport

  • you have been admitted to a full-time programme

  • you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses.

What is the application procedure?

Once the Admissions Office has received all your documents and fees, it will submit your visa and/or residence permit application to the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). Don't forget to let us know in which country you wish to collect your visa. Please note that you may only collect your visa in a country where you have official residency and you may not be in the Netherlands during the visa application and processing period.
We will inform you as soon as your application has been approved. This usually takes four to six weeks. You will then receive an official invitation to collect your visa from the relevant Dutch embassy or consulate. Once in the Netherlands you can collect your residence permit from the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). The Admissions Office will provide you with instructions on when and where to do so after you have arrived.

Student residence permits are issued for the duration of your study programme plus 3 months. Please note that you may be required to apply for a new residence permit if you start a new study programme or if you need more time to complete your programme. See extending your residence permit for more information.

What else do I need to know?

  • If your study programme is longer than 12 months you will be asked to submit a new financial statement prior to each subsequent year of study, stating that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the upcoming study period (up to 12 months).

  • Leiden University will be required to inform the IND if you discontinue your studies, terminate your registration as a student of Leiden University, or if you no longer have sufficient funds to cover your living costs. This may result in the IND cancelling your visa/residence permit.

  • Due to immigration legislation and the Code of Conduct governing International Students in Higher Education Leiden University will be required to cancel your residence permit if you obtain less than 50% of the required academic credits (ECTS) per year (with the exception of insufficient study progress resulting from exceptional circumstances as specified in WHW 7.51).
    Please refer to the fact sheet for students holding a residence permit.


Do I need a TBC examination?

To fight the worldwide spread of tuberculosis, some non-EU/EEA citizens staying in the Netherlands for three months or longer must be tested for tuberculosis. This means that in order to obtain your residence permit you may be required to undergo a tuberculosis examination and, if necessary, treatment for tuberculosis.
More about  the TB test and how to make an appointment.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017