Finances for visas and residence permits

Standard financial requirements for student visa and/or residence permit

As a non-EU national entering the Netherlands to study, you may need an entry visa and/or a residence permit. To obtain these you must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your entire stay.

The Dutch Ministry of Justice has set a standard amount of € 900 per month for this purpose (at least € 11,000 for a 12-month stay). If you also wish to apply for a permit on behalf of your partner and/or children, you will need a minimum of € 1403,98 per month (valid on 1  January 2017- subject to annual change).

Important note: These standard amounts do not include tuition fee costs. You are expected to have the amounts stated above at your disposal in addition to sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees. 

Proof of sufficient funds

The following means are accepted as proof of sufficient funds:

  • transfer of funds for living expenses (preferred)

  • bank statement

  • scholarship letter.

Transfer of funds for living expenses
It can be difficult to obtain a bank statement that meets the strict requirements set by the Department of Immigration (IND). We therefore generally advise students to transfer the funds to cover living expenses for the duration of their stay (up to a maximum of 12 months) to the Admissions Office. For a stay of twelve months this would amount to a total of at least €11,000. This helps to ensure that your visa application will be processed quickly and efficiently. Leiden University will then transfer the money to your Dutch bank account as soon as you arrive in Leiden.
Please state your name, application number and the reference ‘living costs’ when you transfer your funds to Leiden University’s bank account. We also request that you email us a copy of the bank transfer receipt. 
Be aware that banks generally charge an additional fee for international transfers. As you will need to cover the costs of these charges, please check with your bank about these costs before transferring money to Leiden University. It is important that we receive the correct amount after any charges have been deducted by your bank.  
Bank statement
The Dutch immigration authority (IND) sets very strict requirements for bank statements. If your statement doesn’t meet all requirements it will be rejected and you will be asked to submit a new one. This happens quite frequently and can be very time-consuming and frustrating for students. Therefore please review the list of do’s and don’ts below and make sure your statement meets every single requirement.


Do make sure your statement meets all these criteria:

  • your bank balance must be sufficient to cover at least €900 per month ) for the duration of your stay, up to a maximum of 12 months (currency must be stated)

  • your funds must be readily available (i.e. not in the form of shares, investments or trust funds)

  • the statement should be in original form (i.e. not a copy or scan) with original signature or stamp

  • it must be issued in English, Dutch, French or German and printed on letterhead paper

  • it must be less than three months old, with the date of issue clearly stated 

  • it must include the bank's address, phone number and contact person (preferably one who speaks English)

  • the account must be in your own name. If family members or friends are providing you with the money, they will need to transfer the funds to your account

  • the account number must be stated


  • don’t submit a foreign internet banking print-out

  • don’t submit a ‘certificate of deposit’ if you have a Chinese bank account. This is not sufficient. Your Chinese bank must instead issue an official bank statement

  • don't submit a statement in the name of a parent or sponsor. This will not be accepted, even if it is accompanied by a letter of support. The account must always be in your own name

  • don’t submit a statement from a trust fund. The funds should be readily available, i.e. in a regular bank account   

If you have trouble obtaining a sufficient statement please transfer your funds for living expenses to us as advised above.

Scholarship letter

This letter must meet the following requirements:

  • it must clearly state the amount of money you will receive per month or the total amount of the scholarship awarded (currency must be stated)

  • the amount must total at least €900 per month (i.e. €11.000 total for 12 month stay) if the scholarship is for less than this amount you will need to transfer the additional funds to our bank account

  • it must be issued in English, Dutch, French or German and printed on letterhead paper

  • it must be an original document (not a copy or scan) with original signature or stamp

  • it must include your full name and date of birth

  • it must include the exact name, address and telephone number of the scholarship organisation

  • it must clearly state the exact start and end date (day, month and year) of the scholarship.

Visa/Residence permit fees

Standard fees and procedures
The Dutch Immigration Department (IND) charges legal fees for visa and residence permit applications. The standard fees are:

  • € 317* to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit

  • € 159* to extend a student residence permit

Please make sure to pay your visa/residence permit fee to Leiden University before the deadline stated in your admission offer. We will then transfer your fee to the IND along with your visa/residence permit application.  

Payment can be made in two ways:

For certain nationalities different visa/residence permit fees apply:
  • Nationals of Israel and San Marino are exempted from paying a visa/residence permit fee, in accordance with the Benelux agreement;

  • Nationals of Turkey pay only €51 for a residence permit extension or to change the ‘purpose of stay’ stated on their permit, in accordance with the EU association agreement;

  • Applicants who are classified as being ‘Long- term resident- EC’ need pay only €159 for visa/residence permit applications.

Applications and fees for certain types of visa/permit must be submitted directly to the IND, namely:

* all fees are valid as of 1 January 2017 and may be subject to change

Reimbursement of living expenses

If you have transferred funds for your living expenses to the Admissions Office, these will be reimbursed in full to your Dutch bank account once you arrive in the Netherlands. Please complete the Refund Form Living Expenses and return it to the Finance Department.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017