Short Stay / Schengen Visa

Who can apply?

Nationals of certain countries need a short stay visa if they are entering the Netherlands as a degree-seeking student or study abroad student for less than 90 days. Check the nationality table to see if this applies to you. A short stay or Schengen visa allows you to travel to all Schengen countries.

How do I apply?

The university cannot apply for a short stay visa on your behalf. Please contact the Dutch embassy in your home country for assistance. You will need to submit an official letter of invitation from Leiden University and a copy of your passport.

The short stay visa is not a tourist visa
The short stay/Schengen visa is sometimes incorrectly referred to as a tourist visa. Please be sure to inform the embassy that you plan to visit the Netherlands for study purposes for up to 90 days and that you require a short stay visa for this purpose.

Short stay visas cannot be extended beyond 90 days
If you plan to study in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you cannot enter the country on a short stay visa. Instead, you will need to apply for a student visa (MVV). Please be aware that if you enter the country on a short stay/Schengen visa, you will be unable to apply for a residence permit (VVR) for study.

Multiple entry Schengen visa
If you plan to travel outside the Schengen countries during your stay, be sure to apply for a multiple entry Schengen visa.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017