Residence permit (VVR) only

Do I need only a residence permit, not a visa?

You will need a residence permit (but no visa) if you will enter the Netherlands, as a degree-seeking or study abroad student, for a period of 90 days or longer, and are either: 

  • a citizen of one of the following countries:


    New Zealand

    South Korea


  • a non-EU/EER national who already has a valid residence permit for one of the Schengen countries.

What are the application requirements

Leiden University Admissions Office will take care of your student residence permit application. However, please note that we can only do so if you meet the following requirements:

  • you have a valid passport

  • you have been admitted to a full-time programme

  • you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses.

How do I apply?

Once the Admissions Office has received all your documents and fees, we will submit your residence permit application to the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). The application procedure usually takes four to six weeks.

Within two weeks of your arrival in the Netherlands you are required to visit your nearest IND office to have your fingerprints and digital photo taken. After your residence permit has been approved and you have visited the IND to have your fingerprints and photo taken, it will take approximately 2 weeks before your residence permit ID card is issued. Leiden University will inform you as soon as your card is ready to be collected.

Student residence permits are issued for the duration of your study programme plus 3 months. Please note that you may be required to apply for a new residence permit if you start a new study programme or if you need more time to complete your programme. See extend your residence permit for more information.

What else do I need to know?

  • If your study programme is longer than 12 months you will be asked to submit a new financial statement prior to each subsequent year of study, stating that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the upcoming study period (up to 12 months).

  • Leiden University will be required to inform the IND if you have discontinued your studies, terminated your registration as a student of Leiden University, or if you no longer have sufficient funds to cover your living costs. This may result in the IND cancelling your visa/residence permit.

  • Due to immigration legislation and the Code of Conduct governing International Students in Higher Education Leiden University will be required to cancel your residence permit if you obtain study results of less than 50% per year (with the exception of insufficient study progress resulting from exceptional circumstances as specified in whw WHW 7.51).  

Do I need a TBC examination?

To fight the worldwide spread of tuberculosis, some non-EU/EEA citizens staying in the Netherlands for three months or longer must be tested for tuberculosis. This means that in order to obtain your residence permit you may need to have a TBC X-ray and a Mantoux screening test after arrival.

Find out if you are required to undergo a test and to make an appointment online: Tuberculosis examination.

Working Holiday Permit (WHP)/Working Holiday Scheme (WHS)

Exchange and Study Abroad students from Canada, New Zealand and Australia who will study in the Netherlands for a maximum of one year can apply for a WHP (Canada) or the WHS (Australia, New Zealand) instead of a student residence permit. For more information about these schemes please refer to this factsheet.

If you are eligible for one of these schemes, the Admissions Office will  contact your about this once you have been admitted to the university. The Admissions Office will assist you with your application.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017