Change of "Purpose of stay"

Do I need a new residence permit?

Residence permits are issued for a specific purpose of stay. For example a permit may be issued for ‘Study’. This means you will need to apply for a new permit if the nature of your stay changes, for instance if you wish to:

If you already have a student residence permit which you obtained via another Dutch university, please refer to the section on 'residence permit extension procedures'.

How do I apply to change my ‘purpose of stay’ to ‘Study’?

If you need to change the purpose of stay on your residence permit to ‘study’, the Admissions Office will submit the application to the Immigration Authorities (IND) on your behalf. Please follow the steps below:

  1. Submit the following documents three months before your current permit expires or before the start of your study programme:
    - Antecedents Certificate 
    - a copy of all the pages in your passport
    - a copy of both sides of your current residence permit
    - Proof of sufficient funds

  2. Pay the required legal fees

For more information please refer to the section on ‘required documents and fees’

Once the Admissions Office has received all your documents and fees, it will submit your residence permit application to the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). The application procedure usually takes four to eight weeks.

Student residence permits are issued for the duration of your study programme plus 3 months. Please note that you may be required to apply for a new residence permit if you start a new study programme or if you need more time to complete your programme.
See extending your residence permit for more information.

What else do I need to know?

  • If your study programme is longer than 12 months you will be asked to submit a new financial statement prior to each subsequent year of study, stating that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the upcoming study period (up to 12 months). 

  • Leiden University is obliged to inform the IND if any of the following should occur:
    -  you discontinue your studies
    -  you terminate your registration as a student of Leiden University
    -  you no longer have sufficient funds to cover your costs of living
    As a consequence the IND may cancel your student visa/residence permit.

  • Due to immigration legislation and the Code of Conduct governing International Students in Higher Education, Leiden University will be required to cancel your residence permit if you obtain study results of less than 50% per year (with the exception of insufficient study progress resulting from exceptional circumstances as specified in whw WHW 7.51).

Can I stay in the Netherlands after I graduate?

As soon as you terminate your studies at Leiden University we will inform the immigration department IND and you must either leave the Netherlands or apply for a new residence permit for another purpose of stay. This is called an application for a change of purpose of stay.
Examples are:

  • Search year/ Orientation year for graduates of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD programmes (see promo film)

  • PhD candidate

  • Residency with partner

Useful links

Last Modified: 05-09-2017