General Admission Diploma Requirements 2017/2018
In order to help international students ascertain if their diplomas are in general sufficient for application to Leiden University or Leiden University College, the Admissions Office has drawn up a list of most common foreign / international diplomas that meet the minimum requirements for admission (where necessary, minimum grades are listed).
- Admission to Leiden University College, Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Criminology and Tax Law is selective and is based on diploma, grades, motivation, an interview, standardized tests, etc. See programme descriptions for more information.
- This list does not represent any statement of equivalency or admission; additional requirements may still be imposed.
- A final decision on admission is taken only after you have submitted a complete online application for admission.
When you apply, please do not forget to indicate in which subjects you take your written and oral examinations.
The IB Diploma awarded after the completion of the full IB Diploma programme, is sufficient for general admission. IB certificates are only taken into consideration in combination with national diplomas that grant admission to higher education. When you apply, kindly include official Predicted Grades from your school and ensure that the levels of all subjects, including language subjects, are clearly stated (HL, SL, A or B, etc).
Cambridge A-levels in 3 general, academic subjects with grades A-C
The Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education should also include three A-levels in academic subjects with grades A-C. The Cambridge Pre-University Diploma is sufficient for general admission.
US High School Diploma from an International School outside the US
High School Diploma, College Preparatory programme with
- minimum GPA of 3.5/4.0 and
- 3 College Board AP’s (grades 3-5) in different subjects (no AP studio Art)
When you apply, you are requested to upload your SAT (or ACT) test scores and College Board results, and information on your schools accreditation as well.
International Foundation (or Access) programmes for university admission
A strong general (academic) curriculum and very good results are required for admission; your national diploma will be the primary qualification in the assessment. When you apply, therefore, we need your national secondary school diploma and transcript and also your academic offer letter from the university that admitted you conditionally.
- VWO diploma from Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten, all have a 'status aparte' and are autonomous countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Students with VWO diplomas obtained in these countries must apply for admission.
- VWO diploma from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius en Saba.
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba (the so-called 'BES-landen') have become municipalities of the Netherlands and their diplomas are national diplomas from October 2010; if your diploma was issued before this date, you must apply for admission.
Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE)
The CAPE is required with 3 double units in general/academic subjects and an overall grade of I-V
- Titulo de Bachiller in either Humanidades y ciencias sociales, Ciencias Naturales or Lenguas, with a Promedio General of at least 7.5. The other streams: El arte y el diseño y la comunicación, Economía y gestión de la organización, and La producción de bienes y servicios, are only considered in combination with university results.
- Reife(prüfungs)zeugnis from an Allgemeinbildende Höhere Schule
- Australian Capital Territory Year 12 Certificate + an ATAR score of 70-100
- New South Wales Higher School Certificate + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Queensland Certificate of Education + an OP score of 1-14
- South Australian Certificate of Education + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Tasmanian Certificate of Education + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Victorian Certificate of Education + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Western Australia Certificate of Education + an ATAR score of 70-100
- Getuigschrift van Secondair Onderwijs (Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs)
- Diplome d'Enseignement Secondair (Enseignement Secondaire Général)
- Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts (Allgemeinbildende Unterricht)
Bosnia and Herzogovina
- Diploma o položenom maturskom ispitu from a Gimnazija
- Diploma o Zavrženoj Srednjoj Skoli from a Gimnazija
- Diploma Za Sredno Obrazovanie (general secondary education stream) from a Gimnazija or a Sredno obstoobrazovatelno uciliste. With a final overall grade of at least 5.0
- Certificado de Conclusão de Ensino Médio with an average grade in the final year of 8.0/10 (when the pass mark is 5.0). If you have already obtained your diploma in previous years you are requested to submit your Vestibular or ENIM results too.
- Diplome d'Etudes Collegiales
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with 6 grade 12 Pre-U courses
- Alberta High School Diploma with an average of 70% on 5 grade 12 S3 courses in general, academic subjects.
- British Columbia Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with 5 grade 12 courses in general, academic subjects and an average grade of at least 73-85% (B).
- Manitoba High School Graduation Diploma with five credits awarded at grade 12 in S, G and U courses and at least 70% has been achieved in each of these subjects.
- New Brunswick High School Graduation Diploma with an average of at least 70% in five grade 12 courses in general, academic subjects.
- Newfoundland and Labrador High School Graduation Diploma with Academic Status and an average of at least 70% in five level 3000 (grade 12) courses in general, academic subjects.
- Nova Scotia High School Graduation Diploma with a final average of at least 70% in five, either academic (ACAD) or advanced (ADV), grade 12 courses in general, academic subjects.
- Saskatchewan Transcript of Secondary Level Achievement (grade 12) with a final average of at least 70% in five different grade 12 (level 30) courses in general, academic subjects.
Graduation Certificate from Senior Middle School with an average of 85% and a GaoKao score of:
- 500 out of 750 (most provinces),
- 600 out of 900 (Hainan)
- 540 out of 810 (Zhejiang)
- 400 out of 600 (Shanghai)
- 320 out of 480 (Jiangsu)
- 515 out of 772 (Yunnan)
- Licencia de Educatión (Enseñanza) Media - Humanista-Cientificos with an average score (nota de enseñanza media) of 6; if you have graduate in previous years, kindly submit your Prueba de Selección Universitaria (PSU) results too when you apply.
- Bachillerato Académico with an average mark over all subjects of 8 and a Puesto score of 0-150 on the ICFES Saber 11 Examen de Estado.
When you have graduated in previous years, please submit your ICFES Saber 11 results too.
- Svjedodžba o (državnoj) Maturi from a Gimnazija
- Bevis for Studentereksamen
- Bevis for Hohere Forberedelseseksamen
- Gümnaasiumi lõputunnistus and a pass on the Riigieksamitunnistus
- Ylioppilastutkinto todistus
- Diplôme de Baccalauréate Générale
- Diplôme de Baccalauréate Générale – Option International.
- Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Sashualo Ganatlebis Atestasi) with an average grade of at least 8,5. If you have completed high school in previous years, we need your NAEC Unified National University Entry Examinations (Ertiani Erovnuli Gamocdebi) results.
- Apolytirio Genikou Lykeiou and a Vevaiosi Prosvasis with an final average score of at least 10
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) with levels 4-5 in the 4 core subjects.
- Gymnaziumi Érettségi Bizonyítvány
Student should complete at least 5 general/academic subjects and obtain:
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) with each subject > 60%
- Indian School Certificate (CISCE) with each subject > 60%
- Senior Secondary Certificate (NIOS) with each subject > 60%
- Higher Secondary Certificate (State Boards) with each subject > 70%
- Surat Tanda Tamat Belajar: Sekolah Menengah Atas (STTB: SMA) and passing the Surat Keterangan Hasil Ujian Nasional (SKHUN) with a score of at least 7.5 in all subjects.
- The SMA alone, is only taken in consideration in combination with university results.
- Studentprof from a Mentaskoli
- Leaving Certificate with at least 6 general, academic subjects of which 3 at Higher/Honours level with grades A-C (until 2017) or H4 (from 2017), and 3 at Ordinary Level, grades A-C (until 2017) or O4 (from 2017).
- The Leaving Certificate Applied is not sufficient for admission.
- Te'udat Bagrut with at least 3 general, academic subjects at unit level 4 or 5.
- Diploma di Superamento Dell 'Esame di Stato Conclusivo from a Liceo Classico, Liceo Scientifico, Liceo Linguistico, from a Liceo delle Scienze Humane, or a Liceo delle Scienze della Formazione.
- Diplomas di Stato from an Instituto Tecnico, Liceo Artistico and an Instituto d’Arte are in general, not sufficient.
- Graduation Diploma from an Academic High School with an average school mark of at least A or ´rank´ 2 out of 9 in all subjects.
- Graduation Diploma from a Special Purpose High School (Science, Foreign Language or International).
- If you obtained your diploma in previous years you are requested to submit your CSAT results
- Atestāts par vispārējo vidējo izglītību
- Brandos Atestatas from a Gimnazija or Licejus
- Students enrolled in, or who have graduated from, a Vidurine Mokykla are considered for admission on an individual basis, depending on subjects, levels and results.
- Diplome de fin d'Etudes Secondaires - Général
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia with 3 principle passes
- Matriculation Certificate (Matrikulasi) with 3 principle passes
- Senior Unified Examination Certificate with an average >75% and a general / academic curriculum
- Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia – does not qualify for admission
- Matriculation Certificate from the University of Malta with an overall grade of A-C
- Bachillerato General – Preparatoria with an average score of 8.0
If you have graduated in previous years and have taken the EXANI-II test, kindly submit this result too when you apply.
- Vitnemal fra den Videregaende skolen - Specialisation in General Studies (Studiespecialisering)
- High School Diploma (grade 10) does not qualify for admission. A university Bachelor diploma is required.
- High School Diploma (grade 12 – expected 2018) with very good results may quality; will be reviewed in 2017.
- Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci (from the Okregowa or the Centralna Komisja Egzaminacyjna)
- Diploma do Ensino Secundário in cursos científicos humanisticos stream and an average mark of at least 14. When you apply, please make sure that your transcript indicates the stream. The other streams are only considered in combination with relevant university results.
- Attectat o Srednem (polnom) Obshchem Obrazovanii with a score of 5 in all subjects.
If you obtained your diploma in previous years you are requested to submit your Certificate of Unified State Examination results too.
- Diploma o stecenom srednem obrazovanju from a Gimnazije.
- 3 H2 Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-levels in general/academic subjects with grades A-C.
- Vysvedcenie o Maturitnej Skúske from a Gymnázium
- Spričevalo o Splosni Maturi from a Gimnazia
- National Senior Certificate with an average mark of at least 75% in general, academic subjects.
- Bachillerato (Titulo de Bachiller) and the Prueba de Acceso a Estudios Universitarios with a score of at least 6.0 (apto).
- VWO diploma
- Avgangsbetyg / Slutbetyg från gymnasiskolan in one of the following 6 programmes: Naturvetenskapsprogrammet; Samhällsvetenskapliga programmet;, Naturvetenskapsprogrammet, teknisk gren; Ekonomiprogrammet; Humanistiska programmet; and Estetiska Programmet.
Important: you should have completed one of these national programmes and have obtained sufficient results in the designated subjects required for general university admission in Sweden.
- Attestato di Maturità from the Confederazione Svizzera
- Maturitätszeugnis from the Schweizerische Eidgenössenschaft
- Certificat de Maturité from the Confédération Suisse
- A Cantonal Maturity Certificate recognized by the Suisse Confederation
- Senior High School Diploma (academic, not vocational) with average results of > 85% and a GSAT score of > 61; please upload your GSAT and –if taken too- your AST results when you apply.
- Certificate of Secondary Education (Maw 6) with a final GPA of 3.5
When you have already graduated, please upload your O-NET, GAT, PAT- results too.
- Lise Diplomasi from a Genel Lise with a Diploma Notu of at least 80%.
If you have already obtained your diploma, please submit your Ögrenci Secme Sinavi (ÖSS) results. The Imam-Hatip Lise Diplomasi, Meslek Lisesi Diplomasi and the Teknik Lisesi Diplomasi are only considered in combination with university results.
- Atestat pro Povnu Zagal'nu Sersdniu Osvitu with an overall minimum grade point average score of 10 (out of 12).
- If you obtained your diploma in previous years you are requested to submit your Certificate of Complete General Secondary Education.
- At least 3 GCE A-levels in general, academic subjects with grades A-C.
When you apply, you are requested to upload your GCSE and, A/S-level results and your predicted A-level results (statement from school). Please note that an A/S level is not sufficient and also that 2 A/S levels do not add up to an A-level.
- Vocational qualifications, even though taken at the same National Qualifications Framework level 3, are not considered sufficient for admission.
- For Access to Higher Education Diplomas or Foundation Diplomas see the top of the page.
- Scottish Qualification Certificate with at least 4 Scottish Highers and/or Advanced Highers in general, academic subjects with grades A-B for the Higher and A-C for the Advanced Higher subjects.
- Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma with 3 A-levels in general, academic subjects with grades A-C.
High School Diploma, College Preparatory programme with
- a minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 and
- 3 AP’s from the College Board (grades 3-5) in different subjects (no AP studio Art)
Your SAT / ACT test scores may also be taken into consideration; When you apply, you are requested to upload your SAT or ACT test scores and College Board results
- Título de Bachiller – Educacion Media General with an average score in the final year of at least 16.
Bằng Tốt Nghiệp Phổ Thông Trung Học (Upper Secondary School Graduation Diploma) with an average score of 8 over the 4 national examinations.